Skip to main content

Where I am in the process and what I have done so far.

After many prayers on February 19, 2017 I decided to move forward to find out if Bariatric Surgery was for me.    I read and read and read some more about how the surgeries work, how people are doing 1 year, 5 years and 10+ years later.    I read medical articles and asked those I know who have had the surgery lots of questions. I also decided to move forward and start one healthy habit at a time.

First bad habit to kick was my soda consumption.   Diet Coke was my friend and I knew it was going to be hard.   I love the taste of Coke.  Cherry Coke and Dr.Pepper (almost always in the diet form) were my favorites!    I knew if I wanted to do this to help myself for the rest of my life I better start making some new habits.


So on March 4, 2017 I drank my last Diet Coke.

My new "treat" to drink is Whyler's sugar free strawberry Lemonade and other flavors.  When I want a sweet drink that is what I use but I only allow myself one in a day and as time has gone on I am not even drinking one a day.   Water has become what I want.

I did have some headache issues while getting off the caffeine.   I used over the counter pain relievers, lots of water, a couple of times I had to take something stronger from my doctor and somehow 12 hour decongestant seemed to help the headaches.   Not sure why....maybe they weren't withdrawal headaches...I'm not sure but for a week I had a severe headache every single day.    But I made it through!   I have now been soda free for 45 days.   There have been moments I felt tempted but most of the time those were when I was in a situation where I normally had a soda to drink, like in the car or at a restaurant.  Carrying a big mug full of ice water around with me all the time helps a bunch!!!!

On March 6th Brad and I attended the Bariatric Surgery Seminar where I felt once again this was a good path for me.   That night I handed all my paperwork in and a few days later I got my appointment date to visit with the surgeon, nutritionist and exercise physiologist.  

March 27th I met with my surgeon and the exercise physiologist (the week before I met with the nutritionist).   All my questions were answered and I was given a folder that has tons of information in it along with behaviors and habits they wanted me to work on.  I was also given a tailor made exercise program for me.   That very day I began  working on my routine.   I have already seen improvements and an increase in energy.

My family wants to support me through this process so each week we work on one of the behaviors/habits together.   I have them typed up and each week we add one more to the list on the door by our kitchen table.

Just getting off soda I dropped 5 pounds.
Changing how quickly I eat  and adding in some exercise I dropped another 5.
So that is 10 pounds down 140 to go!
I am required to do 3 months of medically supervised weight-loss before I can schedule my surgery.   My surgery date will be sometime in July.  
Today I am on day 44 of this process from the time I submitted paperwork.   However since I am counting down the 3 months I am officially on day 9 (into week #2).  (They start counting the day of my first nutrition class which was 9 days ago).  

I am cutting out sugar this week....it is going to be harder than soda, I think, but I'm determined!

Brenda

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Continuing to change...getting closer to the BIG day!

While I don't have my surgery date yet I know I am getting closer to finding out.  :)   I finally got the call today to set up my psych. evaluation that is required before surgery.   I've never had an evaluation like this one so it should be a new adventure.   It is a two part evaluation.  Both last 2 hours.  The first is a written exam type and the second I meet with a psychologist.  Should be interesting. A couple weeks after my upper GI scope I went in for an upper GI x-ray series where you drink horrible stuff that tastes like carbonated chalk.  I was fine at first but after a while it made me feel sick and I didn't fully recovered for a week.   I have decided I would rather have a scope than the x-ray/drink any day.   I realize I had it easy...some people going through these tests have  medical issues they are facing that are scary and painful.  I remembered that while I was getting through the week after the tests.  I have one amazing friend who has always been a

How I got here and why I'm choosing bariatric surgery.

This past year I had a doctor who ran a weight loss study I was part of sit down and give me the true 411 on my health and my future.   He said things I wasn't ready to hear.   I have pondered over his words for a long time. You won't be a good mother for those children you say you love. Within your 50's or even your 40's you will have diabetes and your life will be limited. These are just a couple of the sentences he said to me that caused me to panic, stop and think really hard. I've been trying to lose excess weight for over 4 years and I have only lost to then gain even more.   I am only 5'2" and I am carrying an extra 150 pounds.   The weight is literally killing me. My weight was already a problem but on Christmas day 2015 my world was rocked to the core as I went to check on my daughter and found her with deep cuts all over her legs.   Not scratches and not just a few but many deep cuts.   I knew something was wrong but I had no idea!!!!  Str